Sunday 6 May 2012

Josh Upton's Entry


Well, here we are!  This is Josh's blog entry for our Meadowbrook blog.  I have been here almost 4 months now with my wonderful family (Liz and Eli) and my wonderful family (the Godbeer's and McIlveens).  I was surprised at how normal it all seemed so quickly.  At the same time, I am still learning so much about how to work a farm and how to get along in a house of 13 people.

What specific stories to tell?  Or, should I stick to the general?  General first, I suppose.  Bryan and Lynn have been incredible mentors.  Not only do they give us all kinds of information, they help out, AND they loan and give us all kinds of things we need as new tasks come up.  Pretty awesome!  Life in the house runs pretty well.  We husbands definitely leave more than half of the housework to the ladies, in stereotypical fashion.  They do so much for us, and we try to be grateful (when we notice...).  We, in turn, try to do what we can.  It seems like enough, most of the time.  I know for myself, it's difficult to balance job work, house/family work, and farm work.  There's a lot to be done!  

One thing that I DID get done was a set of gravel steps leading from the outer property up to one of the blueberry field entrances.  It was a slippery muddy slope all winter and ever since I first saw it, I wanted to put steps there.  Being good friends with Aaron, Bryan and Lynn's son, who used to live on the farm is valuable for more than just having his companionship.  Once I mentioned the steps he confided that people slipped going down that slope often.  I hadn't done that yet and I planned not to!  It took me around 2 months of near-constant trying and I finally got the gravel on site for the project.  The next day, my friend Dave helped me put in six BEAUTIFUL steps.  This was one of those rare times when what I imagined came out pretty darn close to what became reality (as opposed to when I try to draw (I have Liz for that anyways.  Why would I need to draw?)).  Yes, I savor this small victory.  And yes, it is sweet!



Speaking of sweet, I am really looking forward to blueberry season!  Probably because I don't understand yet how much work it is going to be.  In September I'll think "Ah, poor naive Josh of May 5th.  How young and free and unawares he was."  I think it's okay to be condescending, as long as it's only to myself.  I do plan to eat as many blueberries as I can handle, though.  I wonder if it's possible to get a blueberry gut.  I aim to find out!

It has been such a great ride so far.  I still find myself driving home and thinking "Hey!  I own a farm!"  I correct myself "I own part of a farm" (Yes, I'm not just critical of others speech.  I give myself a hard time too.)  Still, even dwelling in the realization that I own part of a farm is a pretty joyful place to be.  God has been so good to us to this point.  I can't wait to see what He has waiting around the corner.    

No comments:

Post a Comment